Gujarat riots: Zakia Jafri loses right to file against SIT`s closure report
Ahmedabad: In a major setback to Gujarat riots victim Zakia Jafri, a metropolitan court on Tuesday ordered that she has lost the right to file her protest petition against the Special Investigation Team (SIT’s) closure report on the Gujarat riots case against Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
According to reports, the metropolitan court said that Jafri, wife of slain Congress leader and former state minister Ehsaan Jafri, had failed to file the petition despite repeated orders.
Zakia had earlier informed the court that she had sought clarification from Supreme Court and wanted more time. Zakia’s counsel says the court’s order will be challenges in the Supreme Court.
Zakia, the main petitioner in the Gulbarg Housing Society case, had earlier alleged that the Supreme Court-appointed SIT gave her an incomplete copy of its closure report on the 2002 massacre.
She alleged around 20 pages of the closure report are missing from the copy that was handed over to her on May 7.
The SIT report in the 2002 riots cases concerning the Gulbarg Society killings did not find any prosecutable evidence against Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi or 61 other accused.
An Ahmedabad court in April directed Zakia should be given within a month a copy of the final report of the SIT on the Gulbarg Housing Society massacre in which Ehsan Jafri was burnt to death.
The SIT report is a closure report on the riots.
The infamous Gujarat riots of 2002 left hundreds of Muslims dead, injured and tortured and came as a blot on the BJP rule in the state.
The riots followed an incident of train burning in Godhra in which Hindus returning from Ayodhya were killed by a Muslim mob.
With DNA Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17