Gujarat RTI activist murder: Key conspirator held
Ahmedabad: A key conspirator in the
murder case of Nadeem Ahmed Sayed, an RTI activist and a
witness in the 2002 Naroda Patiya riot case, was
arrested from the airport on Sunday, city Crime Branch officials
According to the officials, with the arrest of Mushir
Qureshi, the key cospirator in the murder case, the number of
arrests made in the case has gone up to 11. Sayed was stabbed
to death with sharp weapons on November 5 in Juhapura
extension here. A witness in the Naroda Patiya riot case,
Sayed had also raised RTI queries on the Godhra riots and
"Mushir Qureshi, a builder by profession and a key
conspirator in Sayed`s murder, was arrested, after he landed
at the airport from Dubai," ACP Mayur Chavda told reporters.
On November 19, the Crime Branch, which is probing the
case, had arrested seven persons, including Mohammad Sharif
alias Kaalu Gardan, who executed the murder.
"After giving the contract of killing Sayed to Kalu
Gardan, he (Qureshi) had left for Dubai on November 2, so that
he could get an alibi. But during his interrogation, Gardan
confessed to have received Rs five lakh to eliminate Sayed.
Also, Qureshi has confessed to the same during his primary
questioning after arrest," Chavda added.
According to Chavda, Sayed had complained to police
about Gardan and Qureshi indulging in cow slaughter, following
which, there was a clash between the slaughter-house owners
and police in October, in which, a police jeep was torched.
Besides this, there was a personal rivalry between
Qureshi and Sayed, which might have led to the latter`s
murder, the ACP said.
Sayed was a Congress worker and a witness in the
Naroda Patiya case, in which, 95 persons were killed on
February, 28, 2002, during the communal violence that erupted
after the Godhra train burning incident.
The court had recorded Sayed`s statements a couple of
months before his death.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of PM Modi-led government's promise of good days
- DNA: Analysis of PM Modi-led government's promise of good days- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of PM Modi-led government's promise of good days- Part III
- DNA: Analysis of why every third ATM in India is not working
- DNA: Analysis of why every third ATM in India is not working- Part II
- Sleep apnea gets worse in post-menopausal women
- APICET 2016 Results: (apicet.net.in) AP ICET Result 2016, AP Integrated Common Entrance Test Results to be declared today on May 27 at 9 AM
- CHSE Odisha Plus Two (Class 12) Exam Results 2016 is likely to be declared today anytime soon - Check orissaresults.nic.in and chseodisha.nic.in
- Trump would approve oil pipeline project blocked by Obama on green concerns
- Deep-water search for EgyptAir black boxes to start soon