Gujarat shining slogan far from reality: Anand Sharma
Ahmedabad: Union Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma on Tuesday hit out at the Narendra Modi government in Gujarat ahead of the first phase of polling on December 13 (Thursday).
Speaking at a press conference, Sharma said the Gujarat shining slogan was from reality.
He accused the state government of diverting funds given under Central schemes and not utilising them properly.
Using statistics to bulldoze Modi’s claim of development in the state, the minister said 32% people still live below poverty line in Gujarat.
“This is the maximum percentage in any state in the country.”
The literacy rate in Gujarat was just 71%, compared to Kerala at 92% and even Manipur at 73%. Sharma noted. He said 26% of the children in Gujarat drop out of school midway.
The minister said education is being privatised and turned into a business in Gujarat.
Gujarat also tops the country in infant mortality rate, which is at a whopping 44%. Is this the achievement of the Modi government, he asked.
Sharma said “the Chief Minister must answer why Gujarat is lagging behind on so many social and health indicators, while he claims of development in the state”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE