Gujarat simmers under intense heat wave
Ahmedabad: Several parts of Gujarat reeled under severe heat with mercury climbing to a sweltering 44 degrees in some areas, even as weathermen forecast no respite in the next 48 hours.
Prevailing heat wave conditions in most parts of Gujarat are expected to continue for next two days in the entire state, according to Met officials.
"Prevalence of westerly to north-westerly winds in lower levels of the region will result in hot weather conditions over the next two days," Regional Director at Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) Ahmedabad, Jayant Sarkar said.
"These north-westerly winds will result in clear skies depriving formation of cloud cover, ruling out any chances of rain," he said.
Yesterday, Ahmedabad and Amreli in Saurashtra were the hottest cities in Gujarat after mercury touched 44 degree Celsius. Rajkot stood a close second at 43 degree Celsius.
The IMD had yesterday issued an advisory warning regarding the temperature rise across Gujarat.
Meanwhile, the city civic body has geared up to tackle any situation arising out of extreme heat wave conditions.
A health officer from Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) said till now there have been no casualties and precautions are being taken to beat the heat stroke.
In addition to public awareness, the civic body has decided to keep municipal gardens open from 12 PM to 2 PM for citizens to take rest, the officer said.
He also said that arrangements have been made in all hospitals to provide instant treatment for heat-related cases.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way