Gujarat simmers under intense heat wave
Ahmedabad: Several parts of Gujarat reeled under severe heat with mercury climbing to a sweltering 44 degrees in some areas, even as weathermen forecast no respite in the next 48 hours.
Prevailing heat wave conditions in most parts of Gujarat are expected to continue for next two days in the entire state, according to Met officials.
"Prevalence of westerly to north-westerly winds in lower levels of the region will result in hot weather conditions over the next two days," Regional Director at Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) Ahmedabad, Jayant Sarkar said.
"These north-westerly winds will result in clear skies depriving formation of cloud cover, ruling out any chances of rain," he said.
Yesterday, Ahmedabad and Amreli in Saurashtra were the hottest cities in Gujarat after mercury touched 44 degree Celsius. Rajkot stood a close second at 43 degree Celsius.
The IMD had yesterday issued an advisory warning regarding the temperature rise across Gujarat.
Meanwhile, the city civic body has geared up to tackle any situation arising out of extreme heat wave conditions.
A health officer from Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) said till now there have been no casualties and precautions are being taken to beat the heat stroke.
In addition to public awareness, the civic body has decided to keep municipal gardens open from 12 PM to 2 PM for citizens to take rest, the officer said.
He also said that arrangements have been made in all hospitals to provide instant treatment for heat-related cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Deepika Padukone in Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’? Kabir Khan has an answer
- Donald Trump the `presumptive` White House nominee as Cruz crashes out
- Karan Singh Grover’s words for Bipasha Basu will restore your faith in love – Check them out
- Champions League: After knocking out Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid ready to write history
- Premier League triumph: Leicester City's 'magic' hailed globally as the party goes on