Gujarat `snoopgate` probe panel gets third extension
Ahmedabad: Gujarat government on Monday gave another extension, this time for four months, to the Sugnya Bhatt Commission probing the alleged snooping on a woman architect by police in 2009.
The two-member judicial panel, headed by Justice (retd) Sugnya Bhatt, has been given its third extension since being set up by the then Narendra Modi government in November 2013, days after "snoopgate" came to light.
"We have given an extension of four months, that is up to October 31, to the Bhatt Commission," said V P Patel, Secretary, Law Department.
Former Additional Chief Secretary KC Kapoor is the other member the Inquiry Commission, which was supposed to submit its report within three months.
The panel was formed to probe the illegal surveillance mounted on the woman by the police allegedly at the behest of then Minister of State for Home Amit Shah in 2009.
The scandal came to light when two portals, Cobrapost and Gulail, released the tapes of purported conversation between IAS officer G L Singhal and Shah. The tapes alleged Shah, at the behest of his `saheb` (not identified), asked the police officer to snoop on the young woman.
When the panel`s term ended in February it was given a three-month extension (till May 31) to submit findings. Later, the state government gave a second extension of one month up to June 30.
The Congress-led UPA government, too, had announced a probe into the "snoopgate" affair, but did not name a judge to head the inquiry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city