Gujarat Speaker suspends all Congress MLAs from the Assembly
Gandhinagar: Gujarat Assembly Speaker suspended all Congress MLAs present in the House on Wednesday, for a day, except the Leader of Opposition Shankarsinh Vaghela, after the opposition protested against an alleged "insult" to their leader by a minister.
Leader of opposition Vaghela walked out of the House, protesting against suspension of Congress MLAs, after saying that the Congress would launch a "non-co-operation movement" in the House, from tomorrow.
Later, Vaghela also told reporters that Congress party workers would burn effigies of Gujarat power minister Saurabh Patel and another minister Babu Bokhiria, all over the state tomorrow.
The chain of events began after Vaghela intervened and asked a question about increase in the electricity generation capacity during the last ten years by government-owned entities and private companies, when Gujarat power minister Saurabh Patel was speaking during a discussion on energy and petrochemicals.
This infuriated Patel, who told Gujarat Assembly Speaker Vaju Vala, "What if he (Vaghela) is the Leader of Opposition? Why is he allowed to interfere when I am speaking. I have not interfered when Opposition members were speaking".
Congress members demanded an apology from the minister, after calling Patel`s comments as an "insult" to the Leader of Opposition.
"I am an elected representative of the people. The post of the Leader of Opposition has not been given to me as alms or favour," Vaghela said.
The Speaker promised Congress members that he would check the records to find out if Patel had indeed used derogatory language against the Leader of Opposition and delete it from the records of the House, if necessary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day