Gujarat Speaker suspends all Congress MLAs from the Assembly
Gandhinagar: Gujarat Assembly Speaker suspended all Congress MLAs present in the House on Wednesday, for a day, except the Leader of Opposition Shankarsinh Vaghela, after the opposition protested against an alleged "insult" to their leader by a minister.
Leader of opposition Vaghela walked out of the House, protesting against suspension of Congress MLAs, after saying that the Congress would launch a "non-co-operation movement" in the House, from tomorrow.
Later, Vaghela also told reporters that Congress party workers would burn effigies of Gujarat power minister Saurabh Patel and another minister Babu Bokhiria, all over the state tomorrow.
The chain of events began after Vaghela intervened and asked a question about increase in the electricity generation capacity during the last ten years by government-owned entities and private companies, when Gujarat power minister Saurabh Patel was speaking during a discussion on energy and petrochemicals.
This infuriated Patel, who told Gujarat Assembly Speaker Vaju Vala, "What if he (Vaghela) is the Leader of Opposition? Why is he allowed to interfere when I am speaking. I have not interfered when Opposition members were speaking".
Congress members demanded an apology from the minister, after calling Patel`s comments as an "insult" to the Leader of Opposition.
"I am an elected representative of the people. The post of the Leader of Opposition has not been given to me as alms or favour," Vaghela said.
The Speaker promised Congress members that he would check the records to find out if Patel had indeed used derogatory language against the Leader of Opposition and delete it from the records of the House, if necessary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire