Gujarat to build 182-meter-high statue of Sardar Patel
Ahmedabad: Gujarat has embarked upon an
ambitious project to erect a 182-meter-high statue of Sardar
Vallabhbhai Patel, claimed to be the tallest in the world, on
an island in Narmada river.
Chief Minister Narendra Modi made this announcement here
today, a day before his completion of nine years at the helm.
The new statue will be called the `Statue of Unity` which
will be double the size of `Statue of Liberty` in the US and
four times higher than `Christ the Redeemer` located in Rio De
"Sardar Patel had played a pivotal role to unite the
country after we got independence from the British as the
country was divided into around 550 princely states. That is
the reason it will be named as Statue of Unity," Modi said,
adding the venture will be made possible with private
"An initial survey done on the Sadhu Bet, a small island
in the middle of the Narmada river three kms down the Sardar
Sarovar Dam, has indicated that the highest statue of the
world can be erected there," he said.
"More surveys and environmental clearance is required as
it (statue) is in the middle of the river. The exact cost and
time frame of the implementation of the project can be known
only after that," Modi said.
Also, there is a plan to build a weir at Garudeshwar so
that the area around the island will remain full with water
throughout the year, he said.
"This statue will be place to showcase unity and
integrity of the country, cultural and social protection,
peace and development of the country," he said.
The CM further said that they will invite experts from
all over the world to do various surveys on how to erect the
tallest statue of the world.
Along with the statue a Centre of Excellence and Research
on best practices in public administration and agriculture
will also be established at the site as both the subjects were
close to the heart of Sardar Patel, Modi said.
"This will also boost the tourism industry of the state,"
Modi took over as Chief Minister of the state on October
7, 2001 and will be completing nine years of rule in the state
tomorrow. He is the longest serving chief minister of Gujarat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly