Gujarat to build 182-meter-high statue of Sardar Patel
Ahmedabad: Gujarat has embarked upon an
ambitious project to erect a 182-meter-high statue of Sardar
Vallabhbhai Patel, claimed to be the tallest in the world, on
an island in Narmada river.
Chief Minister Narendra Modi made this announcement here
today, a day before his completion of nine years at the helm.
The new statue will be called the `Statue of Unity` which
will be double the size of `Statue of Liberty` in the US and
four times higher than `Christ the Redeemer` located in Rio De
"Sardar Patel had played a pivotal role to unite the
country after we got independence from the British as the
country was divided into around 550 princely states. That is
the reason it will be named as Statue of Unity," Modi said,
adding the venture will be made possible with private
"An initial survey done on the Sadhu Bet, a small island
in the middle of the Narmada river three kms down the Sardar
Sarovar Dam, has indicated that the highest statue of the
world can be erected there," he said.
"More surveys and environmental clearance is required as
it (statue) is in the middle of the river. The exact cost and
time frame of the implementation of the project can be known
only after that," Modi said.
Also, there is a plan to build a weir at Garudeshwar so
that the area around the island will remain full with water
throughout the year, he said.
"This statue will be place to showcase unity and
integrity of the country, cultural and social protection,
peace and development of the country," he said.
The CM further said that they will invite experts from
all over the world to do various surveys on how to erect the
tallest statue of the world.
Along with the statue a Centre of Excellence and Research
on best practices in public administration and agriculture
will also be established at the site as both the subjects were
close to the heart of Sardar Patel, Modi said.
"This will also boost the tourism industry of the state,"
Modi took over as Chief Minister of the state on October
7, 2001 and will be completing nine years of rule in the state
tomorrow. He is the longest serving chief minister of Gujarat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok