Gujarat`s health indicators ‘troubling’, Modi conceded in interview
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, whose statement about figure-conscious young middle-class girls has become controversial, has also admitted in the same interview that health indicators for women and children in Gujarat were "troubling."
The comment on anorexic middle-class girls drew sharp reactions, with Congress leader and Union Minister Ambika Soni saying that Modi was insensitive towards women, and state Congress calling it an insult to all women.
According to the text of the interview to Wall Street Journal, released by Modi`s office here, he also said: "India`s National Family Health survey is somewhat outdated, but the most recent set of data from 2005-2006 had some troubling health and malnutrition indicators for Gujarat.
"Some 52 percent of children under five years old were stunted, or too short for their age, compared with 56 per cent in Bihar, 44 per cent in Karnataka, 31 per cent in Tamil Nadu and 25 per cent in Kerala," Modi told the interviewer.
Further, he also quoted the survey to state that anaemia was a major problem in Gujarat, especially among women and children. "Among children between six and 59 months, 70 per cent were anaemic. Some 55 per cent of Gujarati women were anaemic."
The controversial comment read:...Gujarat is also a middle-class state. The middle class is more beauty conscious than health conscious ? that is a challenge. If a mother tells her daughter to have milk, they`ll have a fight. She`ll tell her mother, `I won`t drink milk. I`ll get fat`."
"They have money but she`s beauty conscious, she`s not health conscious. So being a middle-class state is also a problem for me."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened