Gulberg case: SIT gives clean chit to Modi?
Ahmedabad: A day after the Special Investigation Team (SIT), which is probing 2002 riots, filed its final report in the Gulberg Society case, a local court, Thursday, is expected to go into its details, amid reports that Chief Minister Narendra Modi has been given a clean chit.
The metropolitan magistrate will take cognizance of the SIT report and set up date for the hearing in the case. The court may also issue notices to the investigating team and the petitioner Zakia Jafri for the same.
Media reports suggest that the SIT report has found no evidence of Chief Minister Narendra Modi’s alleged role in the case.
The report was submitted, yesterday, in a sealed envelope by SIT officials in a magisterial court here as directed by the Supreme court.
Zakia Jafri - her husband, ex-MLA Eshan Jafri, was killed by a mob at their Gulberg society home - had moved the petition seeking prosecution of Narendra Modi in the case.
On September 12, 2011, in a relief to Narendra Modi, the Supreme Court had ruled that a trial court would hear the petition by Zakia Jafri, who alleged deliberate inaction on the part of the Gujarat Chief Minister in the killing of her husband Ehsan Jafri and dozens of others in Ahmedabad`s Gulberg Society during the 2002 riots.
The plea by Jafri, also alleged inaction on the part of Modi`s cabinet colleagues and some high-ranking state officials.
The court said the magistrate, before deciding on the complaint, would give her afford an opportunity to be heard.
The court had also asked the special investigation team (SIT) headed by former Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) director RK Raghvan to file its status report before the concerned magistrate.
The amicus curiae (friend of the court) Raju Ramachandran report, which differed with the findings of the SIT, was also referred to the magistrate.
After that, the magistrate was to take a final call on the alleged involvement of people named in the FIR.
Emboldened by the Supreme Court’s ruling, Modi had tweeted, ‘God is great’.
The apex court in 2009 had earlier handed over the task of probing the case to SIT which submitted its report in 2011.
Fresh pleas filed in Zakia Jafri case
Meanwhile, with no official word yet on the report of SIT that probed allegations of involvement of Chief Minister Narendra Modi in 2002 post-Godhra riots, two separate applications were filed today before a magisterial court seeking copies of the final report submitted yesterday.
The court of Metropolitan Magistrate MS Bhatt issued notices to the Special Investigation Team (SIT) and posted the hearing to February 13 following the applications moved by social activists Teesta Setalvad and Mukul Sinha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!