Gutka to be banned in Guj from Sept 11: Modi
Junagadh: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday announced a comprehensive ban on gutka, which will come into effect from September 11, in the state which is going to polls by year end.
"I have to save the youths of Gujarat, from the dreaded evil of cancer and that`s why a decision to impose a complete ban on gutka has been taken," Modi said in his 66th Independence Day speech.
The complete ban on the product (sale, stocking, production and distribution) shall come into effect from September 11, he said.
The practice of chewing gutka by youngsters can not be encouraged. If calculated in monetary terms, gutka consumption is expensive than eating almonds, Modi said.
Maharashtra government recently imposed a comprehensive ban on gutka and pan masala. Gutka is also banned in Kerala, Madhya Pradesh and Bihar, while Rajasthan government had last month announced its decision to ban the product.
From September 11, the production, storage, sale and distribution of gutka shall be banned in the state, a state official said.
The deadline for its implementation has been strategically planned to ensure disposal of the existing stock in circulation by then, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Indian Premier League 2016 Final: SunRisers Hyderabad vs Royal Challengers Bangalore — As it happened...
- Rahul Singh takes blessings from poor on his B-day
- Dino Morea, Ranbir Kapoor flaunt football skills! - See pics
- BJP to go it alone in UP Assembly polls, Ram temple not to be on poll agenda: Mahesh Sharma
- Thousands flee IS offensive in northern Syria: Monitor