Guv breached Constitution in Lokayukta appointment: Guj to SC
New Delhi: Gujarat government on Tuesday told the Supreme Court that Governor Kamla Beniwal has breached constitutional norms by appointing Justice (retd) R A Mehta as the Lokayukta without taking its consent.
The state government said that the Governor has to act on the advice of the cabinet and its consent is must for appointment of Lokayukta.
"The Governor has not got exclusive right to appoint the Lokayukta as she claims. The Governor must get cabinet`s consent for the appointment," senior advocate K K Venugopal, appearing for the state, contended before a bench headed by Justice B S Chauhan.
He submitted that the appointment was done by Beniwal without following due procedure in an unconstitutional manner and it is a violation of constitutional scheme.
"The Governor, while exercising function under section 3 of the Gujarat Lokayukta Act, 1986, is to act on the aid and advice of the council of ministers," he said.
"In the present case, there has never been any advice by the council of ministers for the appointment in question and that, therefore, on this ground alone, the action under challenge deserves to be held constitutionally bad," the petition said.
The bench was hearing petitions filed by the state government and an Ahmedabad-based NGO National Council for Civil Liberties (NCCL) through its President V K Saxena challenging the Gujarat High Court verdict upholding the appointment of Mehta as the Lokayukta by the Governor.
It also objected to the use of "very harsh expressions and language" against Chief Minister Narendra Modi by the high court and sought expunction of those remarks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing