Habibullah hopes to meet Modi to discuss riot victims` issues
New Delhi: Having been unable to meet Narendra Modi on several previous occasions, National Commission for Minorities Chairperson Wajahat Habibullah said he hopes to discuss with the Gujarat Chief Minister the rehabilitation of 2002 riot victims among other issues.
"I had earlier tried to meet Modi but could not due to certain reasons. I am again renewing my efforts to meet him. I hope to meet him soon," Habibullah said.
Habibullah said the issues he wants to raise with Modi include rehabilitation of 2002 riot victims, scholarships for minority students and problems faced by Parsi and Sikh communities in Gujarat.
He said Gujarat government`s objection to the central pre-matriculation scholarship scheme for students of minority communities is an important issue that he wants to discuss with Modi.
Gujarat refused to implement the scheme provided by the Union Ministry of Minority Affairs by calling it discriminatory.
The state government had argued that the scheme is based on religion and the Centre cannot compel the state to implement it and that a similar scheme was in place in the state for all poor students irrespective of their religion.
The matter is pending before the Supreme Court.
"We would also raise inclusion of Parsi community in the minority list and the concerns of Sikh farmers of Gujarat with the Chief Minister," he said.
He, however, refused to comment on reports regarding Gujarat government plans to come up with a scheme for repairing the mosques damaged during the 2002 riots.
On opening the mosques under the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) for offering prayers, he said: "We have raised it with the Ministry of Culture and the ASI. ASI had to conduct a survey of such mosques. They are yet to release the report"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof