Habibullah hopes to meet Modi to discuss riot victims` issues
New Delhi: Having been unable to meet Narendra Modi on several previous occasions, National Commission for Minorities Chairperson Wajahat Habibullah said he hopes to discuss with the Gujarat Chief Minister the rehabilitation of 2002 riot victims among other issues.
"I had earlier tried to meet Modi but could not due to certain reasons. I am again renewing my efforts to meet him. I hope to meet him soon," Habibullah said.
Habibullah said the issues he wants to raise with Modi include rehabilitation of 2002 riot victims, scholarships for minority students and problems faced by Parsi and Sikh communities in Gujarat.
He said Gujarat government`s objection to the central pre-matriculation scholarship scheme for students of minority communities is an important issue that he wants to discuss with Modi.
Gujarat refused to implement the scheme provided by the Union Ministry of Minority Affairs by calling it discriminatory.
The state government had argued that the scheme is based on religion and the Centre cannot compel the state to implement it and that a similar scheme was in place in the state for all poor students irrespective of their religion.
The matter is pending before the Supreme Court.
"We would also raise inclusion of Parsi community in the minority list and the concerns of Sikh farmers of Gujarat with the Chief Minister," he said.
He, however, refused to comment on reports regarding Gujarat government plans to come up with a scheme for repairing the mosques damaged during the 2002 riots.
On opening the mosques under the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) for offering prayers, he said: "We have raised it with the Ministry of Culture and the ASI. ASI had to conduct a survey of such mosques. They are yet to release the report"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick