Hand over Nanavati report to Gujarat Guv: Bhatt
Ahmedabad: Suspended IPS officer Sanjiv Bhatt
has said that Nanavati Commission enquiring into the 2002 Gujarat riots should submit its second report to the Governor
of Gujarat, and not the state Chief Minister Narendra Modi
whose role is covered by the terms of reference of the
In a letter written to the Commission today, Bhatt has
also said that even the first report of the Commission
submitted to the state government should be recalled and
handed over to the Gujarat Governor.
"First report of the Commission may be recalled from the
state government and be presented to the Governor of Gujarat,
as role of Gujarat Chief Minister is covered by the terms of
reference of the enquiry," Bhatt stated in his letter.
"In consonance with principle of natural justice that
no person shall be a judge in his own cause, the yet-to-be
submitted second report of the Commission may also be
presented to the Governor and not the Chief Minister," he
The first report of the Commission was submitted to
the Chief Minister Narendra Modi himself in September 2008,
despite the fact that his role was very much the subject
matter of the terms of references being enquired into by the
Commission, Bhatt observed.
In the first report which covered the Godhra train
burning incident, the Commission had said that it was a
Bhatt also pleaded with the Commission to summon Modi
for deposition and cross-examination `as the conclusion of
Commission that no material was available against him was
"Without calling and examining Gujarat CM Narendra
Modi, the conclusion that there is no material against him, is
manifestly premature," Bhatt stated in his letter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!