Hand over Nanavati report to Gujarat Guv: Bhatt
Ahmedabad: Suspended IPS officer Sanjiv Bhatt
has said that Nanavati Commission enquiring into the 2002 Gujarat riots should submit its second report to the Governor
of Gujarat, and not the state Chief Minister Narendra Modi
whose role is covered by the terms of reference of the
In a letter written to the Commission today, Bhatt has
also said that even the first report of the Commission
submitted to the state government should be recalled and
handed over to the Gujarat Governor.
"First report of the Commission may be recalled from the
state government and be presented to the Governor of Gujarat,
as role of Gujarat Chief Minister is covered by the terms of
reference of the enquiry," Bhatt stated in his letter.
"In consonance with principle of natural justice that
no person shall be a judge in his own cause, the yet-to-be
submitted second report of the Commission may also be
presented to the Governor and not the Chief Minister," he
The first report of the Commission was submitted to
the Chief Minister Narendra Modi himself in September 2008,
despite the fact that his role was very much the subject
matter of the terms of references being enquired into by the
Commission, Bhatt observed.
In the first report which covered the Godhra train
burning incident, the Commission had said that it was a
Bhatt also pleaded with the Commission to summon Modi
for deposition and cross-examination `as the conclusion of
Commission that no material was available against him was
"Without calling and examining Gujarat CM Narendra
Modi, the conclusion that there is no material against him, is
manifestly premature," Bhatt stated in his letter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 94 seats, BJP ahead in 56; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Mumbai Congress chief Sanjay Nirupam offers resignation; Shiv Sena ahead in BMC polls
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Counting underway; Shiv Sena leads the race