`Have strong evidence against Modi in riot case`
Ahmedabad: Social activist Teesta Setalvad Monday claimed there is "strong" evidence against Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, whom the SIT has given a clean chit in the post-Godhra riot case, in a complaint filed by Zakia Jafri, wife of slain ex-Congress MP Ehsan Jafri.
"We have many strong cases and evidence against many of the accused including accused number one (Modi)," Setalvad whose NGO called Centre for Justice and Peace (CJP) provides legal assistance to 2002 post-Godhra riot victims told reporters here.
She was responding to a question about the basis on which Zakia had filed a complaint alleging the complicity of Modi and others in the 2002 riots on which the SIT has filed a closure report, giving a clean chit to the accused.
"After the loss of almost an year, since the SIT has filed a closure report, we have provided all relevant materials. At this stage we can`t divulge any further details about our protest petition," she said.
The press conference was called by the CJP to appraise the media on `Landmarks In The 2002 Justice Process And The Roadmap Ahead`.
Setalvad also blamed SIT for the delay in trials of two major 2002 rioting cases at Gulberg society and Naroda Gaam, out of the nine cases which were investigated by the SIT under the Supreme Court`s direction.
"Gulberg case trial is almost at the completion stage but SIT has challenged a trial court order, directing it to furnish all investigation documents before the court, in the High Court," she alleged, adding that because of this, the trial was held up.
She gave details of the present legal status of different rioting cases for which trials were being conducted before special courts under the direction of the apex court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?