Hawala accused Fatta challenges ED summons before HC
Ahmedabad: Challenging the Enforcement Directorate`s action agaist him, hawala scam accused Afroz Fatta on Thursday approached the Gujarat High court seeking to quash the summons issued under the Prevention of Money Laundering (PML) Act.
"The Enforcement Directorate has acted against the provisions of the (PML) Act and initiated investigation against Afroz Fatta," his petition said.
"The procedure adopted by the ED has been lacking a legal sustainability," it said.
Fatta`s petition is likely to come up before Justice G R Udhvani for hearing tomorrow.
The ED, on March 21, had claimed to have busted a hawala racket to the tune of Rs 700 crore during searches at Surat offices of some diamond traders.
ED officials questioned traders Afroz Fataa and Madanlal Jain, allegedly involved in the racket which had sent Rs 700 crores outside India. It is alleged that instead of importing diamonds, they made bogus import bills, claiming that they had purchased the diamonds from a foreign trader.
Using the bills, they transferred money to overseas banks, without ever importing a single diamond.
Congress recently released a photograph purportedly showing BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi with Fatta, and dared Modi to face an independent probe. BJP yesterday sent a legal notice to Congress office bearers including Union Ministers Kapil Sibbal for defamation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heavy rains wreak havoc across the country!
- Pakistani terrorist captured in Kashmir is a resident of Lahore
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Federal Alliance hints at joining new govt in Nepal
- Great Red Spot the source of heat on Jupiter: Scientists
- Lloyds to cut 3,000 jobs, close more branches after Brexit shock
- Chhattisgarh IAS officer claims 94% of death row convicts are Dalits, Muslims, triggers row
- Mahasweta Devi—A voice of the oppressed