HC adjourns hearing on Asaram, Sai`s petition against FIRs
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court on Friday adjourned till Tuesday the hearing on the petition filed by self-styled godman Asaram and his son Narayan Sai, seeking quashing of the FIRs filed against them by two Surat-based sisters accusing them of sexual assault.
Justice AJ Desai adjourned the matter as the prosecution sought time for producing some documents, currently in possession of Surat sessions court which is hearing Sai`s anticipatory bail plea.
Earlier, advocate Nirupam Nanavati, Sai`s lawyer, argued the FIR against him was a deliberate, motivated one, filed with the intention of harassing and maligning him.
Nanavati also pointed out there was a significant delay (11 years) in lodging the First Information Report and the victim had remained mum about the alleged crimes for long.
The FIR gives a totally "deliberate and tailored" versions and hence it must be quashed, the lawyer argued.
However, government Pleader Prakash Jani sought adjournment saying some crucial documents were with the court in Surat. The judge then asked the prosecution to produce the documents on Tuesday.
While the elder sister has levelled allegations against Asaram, the younger sister has charged Sai with rape and sexual assault between 2002 and 2005.
Asaram is in police custody here while Sai`s whereabouts are not known.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!