HC adjourns hearing on Asaram, Sai`s petition against FIRs
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court on Friday adjourned till Tuesday the hearing on the petition filed by self-styled godman Asaram and his son Narayan Sai, seeking quashing of the FIRs filed against them by two Surat-based sisters accusing them of sexual assault.
Justice AJ Desai adjourned the matter as the prosecution sought time for producing some documents, currently in possession of Surat sessions court which is hearing Sai`s anticipatory bail plea.
Earlier, advocate Nirupam Nanavati, Sai`s lawyer, argued the FIR against him was a deliberate, motivated one, filed with the intention of harassing and maligning him.
Nanavati also pointed out there was a significant delay (11 years) in lodging the First Information Report and the victim had remained mum about the alleged crimes for long.
The FIR gives a totally "deliberate and tailored" versions and hence it must be quashed, the lawyer argued.
However, government Pleader Prakash Jani sought adjournment saying some crucial documents were with the court in Surat. The judge then asked the prosecution to produce the documents on Tuesday.
While the elder sister has levelled allegations against Asaram, the younger sister has charged Sai with rape and sexual assault between 2002 and 2005.
Asaram is in police custody here while Sai`s whereabouts are not known.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez