HC breather for Bhatt in case of evading summons
Ahmedabad: Gujarat High Court on Monday stayed all proceedings against suspended IPS officer Sanjiv
Bhatt in connection with a complaint filed against him for
furnishing false information with intention of evading summons
in the case pertaining to the alleged wrongful confinement of
a police constable.
Justice Anant S Dave hearing the case admitted Bhatt`s
petition seeking quashing of the complaint against him and
scheduled it for final hearing in last week of February.
In his petition filed in November last year, Bhatt had
contended that there was no base for the complaint and hence
it needed to be quashed and the inquiry ordered by the
magistrate on the complaint be stopped.
He said that the offence as alleged in the complaint
under section 172 (absconding to avoid service of summons) and
177 (furnishing false information) of the Indian Penal Code
(IPC) are prima facie not constituted or made out.
Finding substance in Bhatt`s contentions, the court
admitted the petition and scheduled it for final hearing in
the last week of the next month.
The complaint was filed in October last year by ACP N
C Patel, investigating officer in the case where Bhatt was
accused of threatening and wrongfully confining constable K D
Pant and making him sign false affidavits.
In his complaint Patel had alleged that Bhatt was
summoned to remain present before him on September 30, 2011
but he did not do so and instead wrote a letter saying that he
was to appear before Nanavati Commission probing the 2002
riots case on the same day.
Patel had further claimed that it was revealed during
the probe conducted by him that neither did Bhatt go to
Nanavati Commission nor did he have any hearing before it.
Based on this, Patel filed a complaint against Bhatt
under Sections 172 (absconding to avoid service of summons)
and 177 (furnishing false information) of the Indian Penal
Code (IPC), in a local court.
Bhatt was arrested on September 30 last year in
connection with an FIR filed against him by police constable
K D Pant for allegedly threatening, wrongfully confining,
restraining and making him sign a false affidavit.
The affidavit in question was in connection with
Bhatt`s presence at the February 27, 2002 meeting called by
Chief Minister Narendra Modi after the Godhra train burning
Bhatt, who had alleged complicity of Modi in the 2002
riots, was granted bail by a local court here on October 17,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- IPL 2015: Not easy for fast bowler to win many MOM in one season, says Ashish Nehra