HC issues notice about wheat worth Rs 3.5 cr damaged in rain
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court on Thursday issued notice to the Central Warehousing Corporation(CWC), on the issue of damage to over 3,000 quintals of wheat worth Rs 3.5 crore, due to rains at Vadodara railway station last week.
A Division bench of Chief Justice Bhaskar Bhattacharya and Justice J B Pardiwala after hearing a public interest litigation (PIL) on this issue today also issued a notice to Western Railway`s (WR) divisional manager, Food Corporation of India`s (FCI) director and the secretary, ministry of agriculture.
Ritesh Subhashbhai Koshti, a resident of Ahmedabad on the basis of media reports, filed the PIL through advocate Ashish B Desai, demanding prosecution of the concerned officers by Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
"On behalf of the FCI, the CWC had unloaded 24000 bags containing 3000 metric tones of wheat from Madhya Pradesh on August 10 at Vadodara railway yard under open sky," the petitioner alleged in the PIL.
"There was a heavy rain at Vadodara on August 12 because of which most of the wheat got wet at Vadodara Railway Yard, as the concerned authorities failed to shift the consignment to a godown on time," the PIL further alleged.
Apart from a criminal prosecution by CBI against responsible officials, the petitioner has sought a departmental inquiry and also requested the court to direct the responsible officers to personally compensate the total amount of loss suffered.
Further hearing on this PIL will be held on August 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Chikungunya outbreak in Delhi: Symptoms, tips to stay safe!
- Hal Shashti Vrat 2016: What is the significance of Balaram Jayanti!
- Good news for Vaishno Devi pilgrims! Shrine Board to announce new route soon - Know details
- Samsung's 1st Tizen powered 4G smartphone Z2 launched at Rs 4,590; comes with free Jio SIM
- All-new Hyundai Elantra launched in India, price starts at Rs 12.99 lakh