HC issues notice to Gujarat govt over Narayan Sai`s bail petition
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court on Monday issued notice to the Gujarat government over the bail petition filed by controversial self-styled godman Asaram Bapu`s son Narayan Sai, currently lodged at Surat jail on the charges of rape and conspiring to bribe officials to weaken the case against him.
Justice A J Desai issued notice to the state, adjourning the hearing to August 14.
Sai has sought bail in the case where he is accused of hatching a conspiracy to bribe police and judicial officials to weaken the rape case against him. He has challenged the order of Surat court denying him bail.
The petition argues that main accused, sub-inspector C K Kumbhani, has got bail, so Sai too should be released.
There are nine accused in this case, filed under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
Sai (42) was arrested last year for allegedly sexually assaulting a Surat-based woman when she was living in his Ashram here between 2002 and 2005. The woman`s elder sister has levelled similar allegations against Sai`s father.
After the arrest, Sai allegedly conspired to bribe the officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch