HC notice to Guj govt on Modi`s brother petition
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court on Tuesday issued a notice to the state government, while hearing a petition filed by the Gujarat Fair Price Shops License Holder Association (GFPSLHA) against a circular by the food and civil supplies department.
GFPSLHA chairman Prahlad Modi, elder brother of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, has filed a petition seeking cancellation of a circular issued by the Food and Civil Supplies department, directing Fair Price shop-owners of the city to identify bogus ration card holders and report them to the authorities.
The petitioner has further challenged provision of criminal action against the Fair Price shop-owners, and seizure of their movable and immovable property, if they fail to report about bogus ration cards to the authorities.
Justice Abhilasha Kumari, hearing the case, issued notices to the Chief Secretary, Food and Civil Supplies Secretary, Food Controller and Ahmedabad Collector, and directed them to file reply by September 5.
The petitioner has contended that the circular on July 25, was issued under `camouflage` to bring within public opinion that government was alert and taking action with regard to bogus ration cards.
It also alleged that the government wanted to shift responsibility on the Fair Price shop owners, who have no role to play in the issuance of ration cards.
Advocate R K Mishra, appearing for the Association, contended that the entire process of issuing ration cards after physical verification of the identity and address of the applicant was within the purview of the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp