HC refuses to entertain lawyers` protest for Anna
Ahmedabad: The Chief Justice of Gujarat
High Court on Wednesday refused to entertain the lawyers who wanted
to abstain from the court proceedings to protest the arrest of
social activist Anna Hazare.
Division bench headed by Chief Justice S J Mukhopadhaya
asked the president of Gujarat High Court Advocates`
Association (GHCAA) Yatin Oza not "to bring politics" to the
Court, when Oza tried to make a representation on the issue.
"Do not embarrass the Court," the Chief Justice said.
Court will not allow any adjournments and dismiss cases where
the lawyer chooses not to remain present, he added.
Earlier today, GHCAA passed a resolution that its members
would stay away from the court proceedings to register protest
against the arrest of Hazare in Delhi, said Oza, a senior
counsel and a former BJP MLA.
However, some of the members opposed the resolution,
calling it a political act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre