HC rejects Gujarat govt’s plea against minority scholarship
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court on Friday directed the Narendra Modi-led government to implement Centre’s pre-matriculation scholarship scheme for students belonging to minority communities in the state.
The High Court’s order is in response to a PIL seeking implementation of a pre-matriculation scholarship scheme for the minority students that was floated by the Centre in 2008.
The PIL claimed that though the Centre allocated fund, the state is not giving benefit to the minority students by not implementing the scheme.
Article 15(1) states that the State shall not discriminate against any citizen on grounds only of religion, race, caste, sex, place of birth or any of them.
The state was of the view that the Centre cannot discriminate students based upon religion, race and caste. The state had also submitted that an identical scheme was floated by them many years ago, which is benefitting the minorities.
With DNA inputs
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part II
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam -Part III
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part IV
- DNA : Why BJP is linking Rahul Gandhi to AgustaWestland scam
- Sachin Tendulkar accepts IOA's invitation to become India's Goodwill Ambassador for upcoming Rio Olympics
- IPL 2016: Gujarat Lions vs Delhi Daredevils - Possible XI, date, time, venue, TV listing, live streaming
- Fed up of repeated ads on odd-even featuring Arvind Kejriwal? Watch this viral video slamming Delhi CM
- Sensex slumps 232 points; Nifty cracks below 7,800-mark
- Govinda took Dawood Ibrahim's help to defeat me in 2004 Lok Sabha polls: Ram Naik