HC rejects Gujarat govt’s plea against minority scholarship
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court on Friday directed the Narendra Modi-led government to implement Centre’s pre-matriculation scholarship scheme for students belonging to minority communities in the state.
The High Court’s order is in response to a PIL seeking implementation of a pre-matriculation scholarship scheme for the minority students that was floated by the Centre in 2008.
The PIL claimed that though the Centre allocated fund, the state is not giving benefit to the minority students by not implementing the scheme.
Article 15(1) states that the State shall not discriminate against any citizen on grounds only of religion, race, caste, sex, place of birth or any of them.
The state was of the view that the Centre cannot discriminate students based upon religion, race and caste. The state had also submitted that an identical scheme was floated by them many years ago, which is benefitting the minorities.
With DNA inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family