HC rejects Gujarat govt’s plea against minority scholarship
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court on Friday directed the Narendra Modi-led government to implement Centre’s pre-matriculation scholarship scheme for students belonging to minority communities in the state.
The High Court’s order is in response to a PIL seeking implementation of a pre-matriculation scholarship scheme for the minority students that was floated by the Centre in 2008.
The PIL claimed that though the Centre allocated fund, the state is not giving benefit to the minority students by not implementing the scheme.
Article 15(1) states that the State shall not discriminate against any citizen on grounds only of religion, race, caste, sex, place of birth or any of them.
The state was of the view that the Centre cannot discriminate students based upon religion, race and caste. The state had also submitted that an identical scheme was floated by them many years ago, which is benefitting the minorities.
With DNA inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi