HC rejects PIL challenging construction of `Statue of Unity`
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court on Monday rejected a PIL challenging the construction of the Statue of Unity, Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s pet project.
A division bench of Chief Justice Bhaskar Bhattacharya and Justice J B Pardiwala today rejected the PIL, challenging the construction of the statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, and declined to interfere in the matter stating that it falls under the realm of policy-making.
"If people feel that the government is wasting money, people will give their reply during elections," the court said.
Quoting reports in the PIL that the project would cost Rs 2,400 crore, petitioner J D Goswami had alleged that public money was being squandered on the project.
The petitioner had also alleged that local people were opposed to the project and instead of spending so much money on the construction of the statue, the expenditure incurred on it could be utilised to redress basic problems of locals.
The Statue of Unity, which is expected to come up on Sadhu Bet island on the banks of the Narmada river, was initially opposed by many villagers, following which, the state government ceded to the majority of their demands. However, activists claim that close to 70 villages are still against the project.
The foundation stone for the project was laid by senior BJP leader L K Advani on October 31, 2013, the birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
On December 15, 2013, the death anniversary of Patel, a `Run for Unity` was organised across various cities in the country to collect iron material for the construction of the statue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared