Hearing on Lokayukta adjourned till Dec 26
Ahmedabad: Hearing on the dispute over the appointment of Lokayukta in the state was adjourned till December 26 by the Gujarat High Court on Thursday.
Justice VM Sahai, who was assigned the task of hearing
the Lokayukta case following a split verdict by a division
bench, adjourned the matter following request from respondents
and intervener in the case on personal grounds and health
The Gujarat government, which had challenged appointment
of Justice (retd) R A Mehta by Governor Kamla as Lokayukta,
did not raise any objections to the request made by the
respondents, following which the matter was adjourned till
The court recorded some facts and the points on which the
earlier division bench had differed, so that argument could
directly begin on the disputed issues in the next hearing.
Bypassing the Narendra Modi government, the Governor on
August 25 appointed Justice Mehta as the state Lokayukta, a
post which was lying vacant since November 2003.
The state government had challenged the appointment in
the High Court on the next day, contending that the Governor`s
decision was "unconstitutional and unilateral".
On October 11, Justice Akil Kureshi heading a division
bench had upheld the decision of the Governor in appointment
of Justice Mehta as Lokayukta, while Justice Sonia Gokani had
ordered quashing of warrant of appointment issued by the
Governor terming it to be "unconstitutional".
Last month, Justice Sahai had referred the matter back to
the division bench asking it to frame the points of
disagreement, based on which he would hear the case.
Justices Akil Qureshi and Sonia Gokani had last week
listed their points of disagreement as per their respective
verdicts in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!