Hearing on Zakia Jafri`s plea to resume
Ahmedabad: Hearing on Zakia Jafri`s petition against Special Investigation Team`s closure report on Gujarat riots will resume from June 3, after a gap of almost two weeks following the transfer of the Metropolitan Magistrate who was hearing it.
On May 2, the Gujarat High Court as part of routine transfers shifted Magistrate BJ Ganatra to Anand. However, during the hearing of a bail application by one of the under trials of the Gulberg Society massacre case, the Supreme Court ordered High Court to revoke Ganatra`s transfer.
Ganatra has been hearing the Zakia case since the apex court-appointed SIT filed its final report on investigation of her complaint against Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and others alleging complicity in 2002 riots.
Her husband, Congress MP Ehsan Jafri, was killed in the Gulberg Society massacre.
Today, Magistrate Ganatra resumed charge in the metropolitan court, and after hearing the lawyers, fixed the next hearing for June 3 when SIT will resume its arguments.
In January 2012, SIT`s final report to magistrate gave a clean chit to Modi and others over Jafri`s allegations.
Jafri`s current petition opposes the report and seeks filing of charge sheet against Modi and 58 others, apart from further probe by an agency other than SIT.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!