Heavy rains lash Ahmedabad, parts of Gujarat
Ahmedabad: Heavy rains lashed parts of the city on Wednesday morning leading to water-logging in low-lying areas, while widespread rains also lashed South Gujarat and Saurashtra regions, officials said.
Ahmedabad received over 59 mm rainfall in the last six hours, an official of Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) said adding that three incidents of tree-felling were reported from across the city.
The city has been divided into six zones, the official said, adding that East Zone, comprising several parts of old city areas, received 59.83 mm rainfall.
South Zone received 53.83 mm rainfall, while Central and North Zones recorded 47 mm and 41 mm rains respectively, the official said.
West Zone and New West Zone received 36.34 mm and 16.90 mm rainfall respectively, the official added.
Tree-felling incidents were reported from near Behrampura, Nikol and Ambawadi areas of the city, the official further said, a pothole, which had developed near a drainage line on the road leading to Vasna from Anjali crossroads in the western part of the city, will be repaired after rain relents.
In rural Ahmedabad, Detroj and Dhandhuka talukas received 11 mm and 9 mm rains respectively in the last 24 hours.
Deesa taluka in Banaskantha district and Kadi taluka in Mehsana district also received 49 mm and 61 mm rainfall respectively over the last 24 hours.
Widespread rains also lashed South Gujarat and Saurashtra regions.
The local meteorological department has forecast heavy rains across the state of Gujarat over the next 24 hours.
"Two systems are developing over Gujarat --- the off-shore trough from Gujarat coast to Kerala coast and the upper air cyclonic circulation over Saurashtra, Kutch and adjoining North-East Arabian Sea upto mid tropospheric level," regional director, Indian Meteorological Department (IMD), Jayant Sarkar said.
"Because of these two systems, widespread rains are expected over the entire state. Heavy to very heavy rains is expected over North Gujarat, South Gujarat and Saurashtra," he added.
IMD has also issued a warning to fishermen not to venture into sea due to expected increase in windspeed.
"Currently, the windspeed is recorded at 30-45 km/hr."
"It may increase to 55 km/hr and hence, fishermen are advised not to venture into sea," Sarkar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India