Heavy rains lash Gujarat; train, vehicular traffic
Ahmedabad: Heavy rains lashed many parts of Gujarat Thursday, disrupting rail and vehicular traffic at several places.
Eight trains, majority of running between Delhi and Mumbai, were stuck up at various locations in Gujarat as the tracks at Jekot railway station near Dahod district were submerged in water after incessant rains, railway officials said.
"Four local trains have been cancelled.
Eight trains have been held up at various locations as the tracks at Jekot station have been submerged," Senior Divisional Commercial Manager, Vadodara, Udai Shankar Jha said.
The trains held up in Gujarat since morning due to heavy rains are 19019-Bandra Dehradun, 19037 Bandra-Gorakhpur, 12283 Ernakulam-Nizamuddin, 12980 Jaipur-Bandra, 19024 Ferozpur-Mumbai, 12472 Jammutawi-Bandra, 12449 Madgam-Nizamuddin and 12926 Amritsar-Bandra.
The heavy downpour since morning led to disruption of vehicular traffic in many districts.
Houses in villages were inundated and people had to be shifted to safer places.
"The Dahod-Limkheda highway had to be closed in morning due to heavy rains, impacting vehicular traffic, however it was opened later on," officials said.
Due to overflow from a local dam, 50 houses in two villages-Nimivarod and Tandi-of Zhalod taluka in Dahod were inundated and people had to be evacuated to safer places, they said.
Six people were struck by lightning in Panchmahal district.
They were taken to Dahod for treatment, state officials said.
In wake of heavy downpour the state administration has also put on alert 180 villages in Panchmahal and Vadodara districts.
According to regional Indian Meteorological Department
(IMD), in last three days rainfall has been pretty good in Gujarat.
The rain deficiency in Gujarat has come down to 46 per cent from 56 per cent, due to heavy rains in this second spell of monsoon, a regional IMD official said.
In parched regions of Saurashtra and Kutch, the rain shortfall has come down to 57 per cent from the high`s of 71 per cent.
"There has been 14 per cent recovery in rain shortfall in Saurashtra and Kutch region. The rain deficiency there now stands at 57 per cent," meteorologist Manorama Mohanty said.
"A coastal warning has been issued in the state as we expect extremely heavy rainfall in parts of Gujarat," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark