Heavy rains lash North, South and Central Gujarat for 24 hours
Ahmedabad: Heavy rains lashed the city, as well as the North, South and Central parts of Gujarat during the last 24 hours, throwing normal life out of gear here, officials said.
The city recorded more than 100 mm of rainfall until evening, which resulted in heavy waterlogging in many parts of the city, Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) officials said.
"Trees got uprooted at more than ten places, leading to traffic jams," fire officials said, adding that no casualty has been reported so far.
Six underpasses located in the city were closed due to waterlogging.
Heavy rains were also reported from North, South and Central regions of Gujarat, state government officials said.
Umarpada in Surat district in South Gujarat recieved 264 mm rainfal, while Tilakwada in Narmada district got 109 mm rainfall and Chotta Udaipur in Vadodara district received 103 mm rainfall.
"During the last 24 hours, we recieved fairly widespread rainfall in Gujarat, with isolated rains in Saurashtra and Kutch regions," India Meteorological Department`s (IMD) regional head Jayant Sarkar said.
Anand district, parts of Dahod, Vadodara and Ahmedabad, amongst others recieved very good rainfall in the last 24 hours, officials said.
"We have forecast that there would be very good rainfall over Gujarat as well as the Saurashtra region in the next 24 hours," he said.
There are around 23 weather IMD monitoring stations in Gujarat.
The regional IMD has forecasted heavy to very heavy rains at few places with isolated extremely heavy falls over the Gujarat region during the next 48 hours.
- GSGMC demands to remove DU book's chapter calling Bhagat Singh a terrorist
- Bizarre selfie craze: 15-year-old boy shoots self in Pathankot, lands in hospital
- Quota stir in Gujarat phase-II: Hardik Patel's PAAS to begin 'lollipop Mahotsav' protest from today
- Real Estate Act, designed to protect consumer interest, comes into force from today
- What an idea! Here's why NCP workers in Maharashtra danced in 'Nagin' style - Watch video