Helpline set up to curb growing incidents of suicide in Gujarat
Ahmedabad: Concerned over the rise in the number of suicides, Gandhinagar police have launched a helpline to offer counselling to people and dissuade them from taking the extreme step, a senior police official said on Saturday.
The helpline named `Jindagi` was launched by the state capital police yesterday. Its landline number is 1091, while the cellphone number is 9426671096, police said. The tagline of the helpline in Gujarati reads as `Aapna Parivarno Shu Vank` (What is your family`s fault?).
"Under our experiment carried out between November and May, ten persons were dissuaded from taking the extreme step by providing counselling to them.
"They contacted us on the number that was mentioned on the board, which were placed near a canal or near a water body, where they had gone to attempt suicide," Inspector General (Gandhinagar Range) Shamsher Singh said.
"Based on the success of this experiment, we decided to continue this project and launch a helpline," he said.
Gandhinagar police have roped in volunteers of `Saath Suicide Prevention Centre`, an NGO working towards curbing the incidents of suicides.
"Banners and boards will be installed at around 20 places near canals. They will also be placed at the educational institutions, as students facing stress as a result of studies, relationship issues and other factors, are also likely to take such extreme steps," he added.
Singh said that they have sought the help of various state departments, including Health, Women and Child Development and Education, for this project.
"Trained volunteers from Saath will attend the calls at the control rooms and offer counselling to persons. Member of a police team and a psychiatrist from Civil Hospital will also be stationed in the control room to offer advice to such persons," Singh stated.
Gandhinagar Superintendent of Police Sharad Singhal said that seminars and workshops will also be organised in educational institutes for young students to highlight moving ahead in life despite difficulties, is important.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP