High-level probe ordered into Junagadh stampede
Rajkot: The Gujarat government has
ordered a high-level inquiry into the stampede at the Bhavnath
Temple`s annual Mahashivratri fair in Junagadh, which left six
pilgrims dead and over 40 injured.
"A high-level committee, headed by Additional Chief
Secretary Varun Maria has been set up to probe the stampede
incident," a senior officer at the Junagadh District
Collector`s office said.
The state government and the Junagadh Municipal
Corporation (JMC) have also announced an ex-gratia amount of
Rs 1 lakh each to the family of the deceased and Rs 25,000
to the injured.
Also, police have made elaborate security arrangements to
ensure that today`s Shivratri festival passes of peacefully.
IG (Rajkot) Pravin Sinha has been deputed to oversee the
rescue operations on the spot.
In view of the mishap, Akhil Bhartiya Sadhu Samaj, the
main organisers of the fair have decided to call off their
famous procession and said that only a symbolic procession
would be taken out instead.
Six persons, including three women and two children, were
killed while over 40 persons were injured in the stampede last
night during the Mahashivratri fair at the narrow Panjnaka
bridge, the lone entrance to the famous Shiva temple, 150 kms
The stampede occurred following panic after the brakes of
a four-wheeler at the fair venue apparently failed, police
The popular fair, which will conclude today, is organised
every year at the temple and nearly 10 lakh people are
expected to attend it this time, officials added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack