High-level probe ordered into Junagadh stampede
Rajkot: The Gujarat government has
ordered a high-level inquiry into the stampede at the Bhavnath
Temple`s annual Mahashivratri fair in Junagadh, which left six
pilgrims dead and over 40 injured.
"A high-level committee, headed by Additional Chief
Secretary Varun Maria has been set up to probe the stampede
incident," a senior officer at the Junagadh District
Collector`s office said.
The state government and the Junagadh Municipal
Corporation (JMC) have also announced an ex-gratia amount of
Rs 1 lakh each to the family of the deceased and Rs 25,000
to the injured.
Also, police have made elaborate security arrangements to
ensure that today`s Shivratri festival passes of peacefully.
IG (Rajkot) Pravin Sinha has been deputed to oversee the
rescue operations on the spot.
In view of the mishap, Akhil Bhartiya Sadhu Samaj, the
main organisers of the fair have decided to call off their
famous procession and said that only a symbolic procession
would be taken out instead.
Six persons, including three women and two children, were
killed while over 40 persons were injured in the stampede last
night during the Mahashivratri fair at the narrow Panjnaka
bridge, the lone entrance to the famous Shiva temple, 150 kms
The stampede occurred following panic after the brakes of
a four-wheeler at the fair venue apparently failed, police
The popular fair, which will conclude today, is organised
every year at the temple and nearly 10 lakh people are
expected to attend it this time, officials added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title