Hizbul Mujahideen `Pepsi bomber` arrested in Gujarat
Ahmedabad/New Delhi: Foiling a plan by
Pakistan-based Hizbul Mujahideen to set up base in Gujarat,
police have arrested a Kashmiri Bashir Ahmed Baba alias "Pepsi
bomber", who was allegedly recruiting youths and had conducted
a recce of key sites including ISRO facility in the state.
"We have arrested one Basheer Ahmed Baba alias Aijaz
(32) from near Samarkha village in Anand district last (Saturday) night,"
Gujarat Anti-Terror Squad chief Ajay Tomar said in Ahmedabad
Baba, who was out on bail, was arrested on a tip-off
provided by Central security agencies after police got a whiff
of his activities, which were being closely monitored.
Tomar said Baba`s main job was to identify vulnerable
youth, brainwash them and send them to Pakistan for terror
training, adding he had till now sent nearly 3000 youths for
A resident of Srinagar, Baba was known among the Jammu
and Kashmir police as "Pepsi Bomber" for his ability to
assemble Improvised Explosive Devices in empty Pepsi cans
along with an accomplice.
He was active during the Amarnath land agitation row and
had allegedly hurled IEDs in Pepsi cans at police.
He was arrested after officials traced the chemical
factory, set up in the house of one Arif Gilkar, where the two
allegedly used to assemble the IEDs.
Baba had conducted detailed recce of some places
including Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), Railway
stations, Kankaria Lake, science city, Akshardham temple,
malls and cinema houses, Tomar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indrani attempted suicide or big security lapse by jail authorities?
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Does a corrupt govt influence the mindset of the youth?
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar