Hooch tragedy: Guj Cong denied permission for debate
Gandhinagar: Congress MLAs demanding a debate on the hooch tragedy during the zero hour in the state Assembly were denied permission by the Speaker on Wednesday, who said the discussion will take place as per the house rules.
Congress MLAs had demanded a discussion during the zero hour on the hooch incident in Vadodara. Congress members met the Speaker Ganpat Vasava before the proceedings started today, to seek permission.
The incident took place in Palej village yesterday. While the death toll reached 3 today, 19 people are admitted to Sir Sayajirao Hospital.
Following denial of permission, Congress MLAs started shouting slogans after question and answer session, saying `stop taking cut on liquor`.
The Speaker said that discussion under rule 108 was not possible, as the request did not meet the specified criteria, nor had the concerned minister given his consent.
"Congress MLAs Siddharth Patel and Iqbal Patel had met me at 11.50 am, ten minutes before the house started, and sought permission for debate under zero hour, whereas the permission needs to be taken an hour before the house begins," Vasava said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy