Hooch tragedy: Guj Cong denied permission for debate
Gandhinagar: Congress MLAs demanding a debate on the hooch tragedy during the zero hour in the state Assembly were denied permission by the Speaker on Wednesday, who said the discussion will take place as per the house rules.
Congress MLAs had demanded a discussion during the zero hour on the hooch incident in Vadodara. Congress members met the Speaker Ganpat Vasava before the proceedings started today, to seek permission.
The incident took place in Palej village yesterday. While the death toll reached 3 today, 19 people are admitted to Sir Sayajirao Hospital.
Following denial of permission, Congress MLAs started shouting slogans after question and answer session, saying `stop taking cut on liquor`.
The Speaker said that discussion under rule 108 was not possible, as the request did not meet the specified criteria, nor had the concerned minister given his consent.
"Congress MLAs Siddharth Patel and Iqbal Patel had met me at 11.50 am, ten minutes before the house started, and sought permission for debate under zero hour, whereas the permission needs to be taken an hour before the house begins," Vasava said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'