How intelligence documents of riot period were classified, HC asks Gujarat govt
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court has asked the state government to file an affidavit on the procedure whereby documents containing intelligence records of the 2002 post-Godhra riots were classified as `secret`.
The division bench of Chief Justice Bhaskar Bhattacharya and Justice J B Pardiwala yesterday asked the government to specify under which rules/law such a classification was done, when it was done, and who did it.
The court also asked the state government to clarify its stand on discrepancies on the status of some intelligence records, as alleged by the suspended IPS officer Sanjiv Bhatt.
The government produced original registers related to intelligence records of 2002 riots yesterday, as directed by the HC last week.
In October, the court had asked the state to hand over certain documents to Bhatt, so as to allow him to depose before the Justices Nanavati-Mehta Commission which is probing the riots. These papers pertained to February 2002 to November 2002 period.
Bhatt had sought the documents to file an affidavit before the commission regarding the alleged roles played by various government officials during the riots. He moved the HC after commission said it can`t give any direction.
Advocate General Kamal Trivedi had then told the court that the documents were intact, and would be produced before the Commission within seven days.
But later, the state government told the Commission that nine out of the 47 documents had been destroyed in "routine course". It produced 15 documents, and said remaining were "classified" or not maintained, or untraceable.
In November 2012, the state had moved an application before the High Court, seeking modification of the October order that had been passed on Trivedi`s statement. People`s Union for Civil Liberties (PUCL) and Bhatt opposed them. Further hearing in the matter is on September20.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij