Husband of woman who accused Narayan Sai of rape attacked
Surat: Husband of the woman, who had accused self-styled godman Asaram`s son Narayan Sai of repeated sexual assault, was severely injured after he was attacked by unidentified persons here, police said.
"The victim`s husband was coming back from his office at ESCI hospital in heart of the city this morning when some unidentified men attacked him from behind with sharp weapons. They stabbed him on his back and then on his face many times," police said.
The assailants managed to flee even as the man fell on the ground with two wounds in the back and three on the face, city Additional CP SM Katara said.
"The victim was taken to a hospital by local people. We have also recorded his statement and registered a complaint," Katara said.
A complaint under Section 307 of the Indian Penal Code for attempt to murder has been registered.
"Police have been investigating the case thoroughly and the assailants will be caught shortly," the police officer assured.
According to the hospital authorities, where the injured is undergoing treatment, there were two grievous wounds on the back and one severe wound on the victim`s face.
"He is out of danger after being operated successfully," they said.
Earlier in the day, Narayan Sai was brought to a local court, which extended his judicial custody by another 15 days. While he was stepping out of the court, reporters asked him questions in connection with the case, to which he just responded by saying "dekh lenge!" (will see).
Meanwhile, questions are being raised over the safety
of the complainants and their family members and there is a demand for police protection.
Two sisters had lodged separate complaints against Sai and his father Asaram accusing them of rape, sexual assault, illegal confinement and other charges.
In her complaint, the younger of the two had accused Sai of repeated sexual assault between 2002 and 2005 when she was living at the Surat ashram.
Surat police had booked Sai under various IPC sections including rape, unnatural sex, molestation, wrongful confinement, unlawful assembly, rioting armed with deadly weapon, criminal intimidation and criminal conspiracy.
Sai, who was absconding for 58 days, was brought to the city on December 4 last year after he was arrested by Delhi Police from Delhi-Haryana border along with his two aides after a car chase.
Sai had also allegedly tried to bribe policemen, doctors and officials of the court to weaken the case against him.
The elder sister, in her complaint against Asaram, had accused him of repeated sexual assaults between 1997 and 2006 during the time she lived at his ashram on the outskirts of Ahmedabad.
Asaram (72) is currently lodged in a Jodhpur jail after being arrested in September for allegedly sexually assaulting a minor girl at his Jodhpur ashram.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says