I am a Mahatma Gandhi follower, writes Rahul as he arrives in Gujarat
Zee Media Bureau
Ahmedabad: Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi began his two-day visit to Gujarat from Thursday.
As soon as he reached Gujarat, the young Congress leader visited Mahatma Gandhi`s historic Sabarmati Ashram in Ahmedabad.
Rahul spent almost 30 minutes in the ashram, from where the Mahatma had spearheaded the non-violent freedom movement of the country till he left for Dandi yatra.
"It`s always an honour for me to come to the ashram. I am a follower of Gandhi and his ideas. Thank you," Rahul wrote in the visitor`s book at the ashram.
This will be followed by a meeting of the national executive of the National Students Union of India, the Congress` student`s wing, and elected members of local self government institutions.
The following day, Gandhi will travel to Rajkot, the former Assembly constituency of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, the Bharatiya Janata Party`s prime ministerial candidate, it said.
There he is scheduled to address a meeting of office-bearers of local party units, meet local self government members and attend an extended meeting of the Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Government auditor suspects companies rigged 1st e-auction of coal blocks in 2015
- FBI probes Democratic email hack, but is Russia to blame?
- Florida shooting: Three taken into custody, more suspects sought
- Dope test scandal: After wrestler Narsingh Yadav, shot putter Inderjeet Singh tests positive for banned substance
- Historic solar flight marks first round-the-world journey