IAF flies 80-year-old aircraft from Delhi to Vadodara
Vadodara: The Indian Air Force showed off its technical skills when it flew an 80-year-old de Havilland DH-82 Tiger Moth aircraft from Delhi and landed it at the airport in Vadodara Tuesday.
"I enjoyed flying it," Group Captain D S Dangi said, talking to reporters here.
The `de Havilland DH82 Tiger Moth` is a two-seater, single-bay bi-lane powered by a 145-horse power Gypsy Major four-cylinder inverted air-cooled engine.
It was the primary trainer aircraft for the Royal Air Force during World War II and was also the basic trainer aircraft in the IAF, right from 1940.
IAF training schools operated the Tiger Moth until it was later replaced by the Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) designed and manufactured two-seater primary trainer called `Hindustan HT-2`, Air Commodore Sodhi said.
"This shows IAF`s technical expertise and capabilities in flying it from Delhi to Vadodara, before taking it to Bengaluru. It could have been transported to Bengaluru through other means, but the IAF decided to fly it there," he said.
Sodhi said the story of IAF`s growth and development, from its nascent days, to its present position as one of the world`s largest air forces, is a tribute to the vision, commitment and dedication of its men through the years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video