If Modi is chaiwala, then I`m chawlwala: Mistry
New Delhi: Congress leader Madhusudan Mistry, who is taking on Narendra Modi in Vadodara, Thursday branded the BJP PM candidate as "casteist" alleging that he was trying to win elections in the constituency by provoking Dalits.
The AICC General Secretary also demanded that Modi resign as Chief Minister before elections to "create a level playing field".
Countering the BJP leader who has been harping on his humble origins, Mistry dubbed Modi as the "face of certain corporates" whom he had given thousands of acres of land.
"If he is a chaiwala then I am chawlwala (slumdweller). He is not a candidate of the poor," Mistry said seeking to dismiss the projection by Modi of himself as a humble tea vendor rising to be the BJP PM candidate.
Mistry, who is leaving for Gujarat today, also slammed Modi for raking up the dalit origin of Narendra Rawat, who was earlier declared the Congress candidate after winning the primaries.
He said that since Modi is using caste to win elections, he should first declare what caste he belongs to.
"This is for the first time that a leader who is seeking to become the Prime Minister was playing so petty by raking up caste", he said, claiming that Modi was attempting to create an impression among dalits that Congress has dropped a candidate from dalit community.
"This is the underlying intention of BJP`s PM candidate. Where was his love for dalit earlier when a dalit girl was gangraped in Patan and he did not utter a word. He was also silent when a senior dalit leader Ratilal Verma was denied ticket many times by the BJP. I deplore these attempts by him to take shelter under casteism," he said.
Expressing confidence that he will be able to defeat Modi from Vadodara, he said he had challenged the BJP leader to contest from his native Sabarkatha earlier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA