If voted to power, Cong will take Gujarat to 18th Century: Narendra Modi
Ahmedabad: Taking a dig at Congress, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday said the main Opposition party will take the state to the 18th century if it is voted to power.
The BJP stalwart claimed Gujarat Congress leaders were making remarks which were at variance with the Independence Day address made by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
While the Prime Minister spoke about the need to attract foreign investments and develop infrastructure, the Congress leaders say Gujarat does not need roads, industries or educational institutions, he said at a gathering here.
"The Prime Minister, in his address, said there is a need to attract Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) and also focus on industrialisation for employment generation in the country. He spoke about the need to strengthen infrastructure, but state Congress leaders say just the opposite of it.
"The state Congress leaders were seen on TV saying they don`t need roads, industries, educational institutions, hospitals, universities, and that just half a chapati would suffice for them," Modi said, implying the party leaders were criticising the BJP Government`s policies aimed at attracting FDI and setting up industries.
As the crowd burst into laughter, Modi said "Congress aims to take you back to the 18th Century. Would you like to go to the 18th Century rule?"
Assembly election is due in December in Gujarat.
Modi was speaking at the inaugural function of a river front development project along the banks of Sabarmati.
Attacking the UPA Government, he said it was the Centre`s responsibility to provide affordable living to people in this era of rising prices.
"They had claimed to contain price rise within 100 days of coming to power, but have been unable to do so. The poor of the country are asking the Centre - what happened to your promise of checking price rise within 100 days?"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what