IIT-Gandhinagar begins to rope in faculty from overseas
Ahmedabad: Indian Institute of Technology,
Gandhinagar (IIT-GN) today said that it has begun to rope in
faculty from overseas in order to raise the teaching standards
and improve quality of research output.
"The institute having faculty strength of 41, so far has
got four members with foreign citizenship on board, and
another five are likely to join soon," IIT-GN Director Dr S
K Jain said.
"For an institution to excel it`s essential to have a
diverse faculty pool. We aim to have 20 per cent faculty from
overseas at any given point of time here," Jain said.
"Recruitment of faculty from overseas would not only help
us in raising the teaching standards, but will also improve
the quality of research output," Jain added.
According to Jain, two professors from Switzerland based
Ecole Polytechnic Federale de Lousanne are expected to join
the institute by November, one each in the streams of computer
science and mechanical engineering.
Besides, Prof Emmanuel Deriot from University of Paris X,
in Mechanical Engineering, and another two including Prof
Subash Deodhar, a US resident, will join in Chemical
Meanwhile, close to 19 IIT-GN engineering students
visited various institutions overseas in the academic year
2009-10, as part of the research projects in streams like
bio-medical engineering, energy and environmental science,
Amongst the newly established IITs, the institute has
batch strength of 350 students.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority