In poll-bound Gujarat, Modi showers praise on Biharis
Ahmedabad: In an apparent bid to woo Bihari vote bank in election bound Gujarat, Chief Minister Narendra Modi today showered praise on people from Bihar and said that the state shared an old bond with them.
"Gujarat and Bihar share an old bond. If Sardar Patel had not been there, Rajendra Babu (who hailed from Bihar) would not have become the President of India while Jayprakashji made Morarjibhai PM," Modi said at a function to mark Bihar`s centenary celebration here.
"Sardar Patel made Rajendra babu President. While it was Jayprakashji who made Morarjibhai Prime Minister. There are countless such examples that bind us," he said adding Bihar was the land where Gandhiji started the movement for Swaraj.
Talking about large number of Biharis who have migrated to Gujarat, Modi said, "there was a time when Kolkata had most number of migrants from Bihar, but I think now Surat has broken that record."
Trying to strike a chord with Biharis here, Modi said the state government was planning to build a large statue of Lord Buddha as there was much influence of his in Gujarat as it is in Bihar.
Asking the Biharis not to forget their roots, Modi said that, "Biharis settled in Gujarat may have become 100 per cent Gujaratis now but we do not want them to forget their roots".
Modi also highlighted the strength of the Biharis saying that they display their talent in whichever field they go.
"If there were to be no Bihari youngsters, imagine what will happen to Television? 80 percent of the crew is from Bihar. This is their influence," Modi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- India's 1-run loss to West Indies: Twitter world, especially KING VIRU go crazy
- China's top 500 firms report first revenue decline in 15 years
- ONGC hires consultant to assess reserves in GSPC KG gas block
- OMG! Young girl borrows phone from unknown people to send 'mujra' ladies for clients - WATCH what happens next
- PM Narendra Modi brings water to parched Saurashtra region in Gujarat