In poll-bound Gujarat, Modi showers praise on Biharis
Ahmedabad: In an apparent bid to woo Bihari vote bank in election bound Gujarat, Chief Minister Narendra Modi today showered praise on people from Bihar and said that the state shared an old bond with them.
"Gujarat and Bihar share an old bond. If Sardar Patel had not been there, Rajendra Babu (who hailed from Bihar) would not have become the President of India while Jayprakashji made Morarjibhai PM," Modi said at a function to mark Bihar`s centenary celebration here.
"Sardar Patel made Rajendra babu President. While it was Jayprakashji who made Morarjibhai Prime Minister. There are countless such examples that bind us," he said adding Bihar was the land where Gandhiji started the movement for Swaraj.
Talking about large number of Biharis who have migrated to Gujarat, Modi said, "there was a time when Kolkata had most number of migrants from Bihar, but I think now Surat has broken that record."
Trying to strike a chord with Biharis here, Modi said the state government was planning to build a large statue of Lord Buddha as there was much influence of his in Gujarat as it is in Bihar.
Asking the Biharis not to forget their roots, Modi said that, "Biharis settled in Gujarat may have become 100 per cent Gujaratis now but we do not want them to forget their roots".
Modi also highlighted the strength of the Biharis saying that they display their talent in whichever field they go.
"If there were to be no Bihari youngsters, imagine what will happen to Television? 80 percent of the crew is from Bihar. This is their influence," Modi said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory