In poll-bound Gujarat, Modi showers praise on Biharis
Ahmedabad: In an apparent bid to woo Bihari vote bank in election bound Gujarat, Chief Minister Narendra Modi today showered praise on people from Bihar and said that the state shared an old bond with them.
"Gujarat and Bihar share an old bond. If Sardar Patel had not been there, Rajendra Babu (who hailed from Bihar) would not have become the President of India while Jayprakashji made Morarjibhai PM," Modi said at a function to mark Bihar`s centenary celebration here.
"Sardar Patel made Rajendra babu President. While it was Jayprakashji who made Morarjibhai Prime Minister. There are countless such examples that bind us," he said adding Bihar was the land where Gandhiji started the movement for Swaraj.
Talking about large number of Biharis who have migrated to Gujarat, Modi said, "there was a time when Kolkata had most number of migrants from Bihar, but I think now Surat has broken that record."
Trying to strike a chord with Biharis here, Modi said the state government was planning to build a large statue of Lord Buddha as there was much influence of his in Gujarat as it is in Bihar.
Asking the Biharis not to forget their roots, Modi said that, "Biharis settled in Gujarat may have become 100 per cent Gujaratis now but we do not want them to forget their roots".
Modi also highlighted the strength of the Biharis saying that they display their talent in whichever field they go.
"If there were to be no Bihari youngsters, imagine what will happen to Television? 80 percent of the crew is from Bihar. This is their influence," Modi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC