Investigation in Naroda Patiya case still on: SIT
Ahmedabad: The special investigation team
(SIT) probing the 2002 Naroda Patiya riots on Tuesday told the
special court that investigation in the case was still on.
The statement was made by Special Public Prosecutor
(SPP) Akhil Desai before special Judge Jyotsna Yagnik hearing
an application by NGO Jan Sangharsh Manch (JSM), representing
some of the riot victims, seeking directions from court for
SIT to submit Action Take Report (ATR) on further probe
conducted in the case.
Desai told the court that investigation in the Naroda
Patiya case was still going on and he cannot say how much time
SIT would take to submit the report.
After hearing the SIT and the JSM, the court reserved
its order till December 3.
SIT had last month told the court that it would submit
its report regarding the case before the concerned magisterial
court as directed by the Supreme Court.
Appearing on behalf of JSM, advocate Amrish Patel
contended that, by not submitting the report, SIT was
deliberately attempting to delay the trial in the case which
was nearing its end.
Patel further said their application seeking report
on further investigation by SIT has been pending since 2009
and SIT should specify how long will it take to file report in
this court on their application demanding further probe.
Patel urged the court to direct SIT to specify the
time in which it would submits its report.
JSM, in their application had contended that the SIT
was directed by the court last year to file the progress
report in the Naroda Patiya case, which it has not done so
far even as it has submitted progress report to the Supreme
Ninety-five persons were killed in communal violence
at Naroda on February 28, 2002, in which 67 persons are under
trial which includes former minister of Narendra Modi
government Maya Kodnani.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video