IPS officer Vanzara arrested by CBI in Ishrat case from jail
Ahmedabad: The CBI, probing the 2004 fake encounter case of Isharat Jahan and three others, on Tuesday arrested suspended IPS officer D G Vanzara from Sabarmati Central Jail here.
The arrest was made after permission granted by a special CBI court earlier in the day, sources said.
He was already behind bars as an accused in the fake encounter cases of Sohrabuddin Sheikh and Tulsi Prajapati.
He is likely to be produced before the court tomorrow when CBI would seek his custody for further interrogation.
Vanzara was brought to Sabarmati Central jail yesterday from a Mumbai jail.
The Mumbai court had on Monday issued orders to shift Vanzara to Ahmedabad jail following the order of the city CBI court to grant his custody to the investigating agency in the Ishrat Jahan case.
Earlier today, Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate (ACJM) of the CBI court granted permission for his arrest on an application filed by investigating officer of the case and CBI DySP G Kalaimani.
Vanzara, as per CBI complaint, had led a team of Detection of Crime Branch (DCB), Ahmedabad, which was involved in the killing of Ishrat Jahan, Javed Shaikh alias Pranesh Pillai, two alleged Pakistani nationals Zeeshan Johar and Amjad Ali Rana on June 15, 2004 on the outskirts of the city.
He is the seventh Gujarat cop and second IPS officer who has been arrested in the case by CBI.
Earlier, the central probe agency had arrested IPS officer G L Singhal, Tarun Barot, J G Parmar, N K Amin, Bharat Patel and Anaju Chaudhary.
Except Amin, all five accused have been granted bail in the case as CBI failed to file its chargesheet within the stipulated time of 90 days of their arrest.
Another state top cop and Additional DGP (Crime) P P Pandey who is also an accused in the case has been absconding and the CBI court has issued arrest warrant against him.
Pandey, meanwhile, has filed a petition in the Supreme Court and sought the directions to quash the FIR against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India