IPS Verma seeks review of order in 1993 RDX landing case
Ahmedabad: IPS officer Satish Verma on Wednesday
filed an application in the Gujarat High Court seeking a
review of the court`s order asking the government to act upon
the inquiry report with regard to his role in the 1993 RDX and
arms landing case in Porbander district.
In the application, Verma has contended that because his
investigation into the 2004 police encounter killing of Ishrat
Jahan and three others has disclosed that the encounter "may
not be genuine", the court`s order in the RDX landing case
could be misused by the government to initiate a departmental
inquiry against him.
Verma is investigating the killing of Ishrat Jahan and
three others as part of the special investigation team (SIT)
constituted by the High Court.
The High Court had last month asked the state government
to take a decision within one month on an inquiry report
against Verma and another IPS officer Atul Karwal for their
alleged inaction against an accused in RDX and arms landing
case, while hearing a public interest litigation (PIL) seeking
action against the duo.
Verma has also contended that the order in the RDX
landing case needs to be reviewed and appropriately modified
as it has not been heard on merits yet.
He further contended that the PIL by senior counsel and
former MLA Yatin Oza did not have merits and was filed seeking
vengeance as he had, in the past, used force against Oza. The
plea is likely to be heard tomorrow.
The PIL by Oza filed in 2005 sought action against Verma
and Karwal for their alleged inaction against Abdul Sattar
Abdul Habib Hamdani alias `Sattar Maulana` accused in the 1993
case. Verma was posted in Porbander in 1993.
Following the allegations made in the PIL, Additional
Director General of Police (Administration) Pramod Kumar was
asked to inquire the matter by the state government, who has
submitted his findings to the state authorities for its
Last month the HC told the state government that if any
departmental action is to be taken based on the findings of
Kumar, it should be done preferably in one month`s time.
Oza has been demanding action against Verma and Karwal
for allegedly not taking action against Abdul Sattar Abdul
Habib Hamdani accused in the case of landing of large cache of
RDX and arms at Gossabara beach in Porbander district.
It has been alleged that the RDX and arms were later used
during the 1993 serial bomb blasts in Mumbai.
Underworld dons Dawood Ibrahim, Abu Salem and Mohammad
Dosa have been shown as absconding accused in the case.
In November last year, a special TADA court in Porbander
had acquitted 17 accused in the Gossabara case for lack of
The judge had observed that police had recovered neither
any weapon or RDX and the entire case was just based on
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum