Irked over delay in judgement, accused hurls slipper at judge
Rajkot: Irked over delay in judgement, a
man accused in a illegal construction case here today threw a
slipper at a judge when the hearing was going on.
The footwear, however, missed the target by a whisker.
Kotak hurled the slipper at session judge D D Rajput
during the hearing of the illegal construction case, which was
going on for last nine years. Policemen present in the court
immediately overpowered the man and took him into custody.
The sessions court later sentenced Dhiru Kotak, accused
of illegal construction in his house at Gujarat Housing Board
Society in the city, to six-month imprisonment.
Throwing footwear as a sign of protest has gained
popularity after Iraqi journalist Muntazer al-Zaidi threw his
shoes at then US president George Bush last December at a
press conference in Baghdad.
It was followed by similar instances in the country, when
a journalist Jarnail Singh threw his shoe at the then Home
Minister P Chidambaram before the Lok Sabha elections.
Even an attempt was made by a youth to throw his footwear
at Prime Minister Mahmohan Singh at a public rally in
Ahmedabad on April 26 just before the Lok Sabha polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- 5 homemade fruit packs that’ll make you glow instantly