Irked over delay in judgement, accused hurls slipper at judge
Rajkot: Irked over delay in judgement, a
man accused in a illegal construction case here today threw a
slipper at a judge when the hearing was going on.
The footwear, however, missed the target by a whisker.
Kotak hurled the slipper at session judge D D Rajput
during the hearing of the illegal construction case, which was
going on for last nine years. Policemen present in the court
immediately overpowered the man and took him into custody.
The sessions court later sentenced Dhiru Kotak, accused
of illegal construction in his house at Gujarat Housing Board
Society in the city, to six-month imprisonment.
Throwing footwear as a sign of protest has gained
popularity after Iraqi journalist Muntazer al-Zaidi threw his
shoes at then US president George Bush last December at a
press conference in Baghdad.
It was followed by similar instances in the country, when
a journalist Jarnail Singh threw his shoe at the then Home
Minister P Chidambaram before the Lok Sabha elections.
Even an attempt was made by a youth to throw his footwear
at Prime Minister Mahmohan Singh at a public rally in
Ahmedabad on April 26 just before the Lok Sabha polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Renowned Urdu poet Nida Fazli dies at 78
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?