Irked over delay in judgement, accused hurls slipper at judge
Rajkot: Irked over delay in judgement, a
man accused in a illegal construction case here today threw a
slipper at a judge when the hearing was going on.
The footwear, however, missed the target by a whisker.
Kotak hurled the slipper at session judge D D Rajput
during the hearing of the illegal construction case, which was
going on for last nine years. Policemen present in the court
immediately overpowered the man and took him into custody.
The sessions court later sentenced Dhiru Kotak, accused
of illegal construction in his house at Gujarat Housing Board
Society in the city, to six-month imprisonment.
Throwing footwear as a sign of protest has gained
popularity after Iraqi journalist Muntazer al-Zaidi threw his
shoes at then US president George Bush last December at a
press conference in Baghdad.
It was followed by similar instances in the country, when
a journalist Jarnail Singh threw his shoe at the then Home
Minister P Chidambaram before the Lok Sabha elections.
Even an attempt was made by a youth to throw his footwear
at Prime Minister Mahmohan Singh at a public rally in
Ahmedabad on April 26 just before the Lok Sabha polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside