Ishrat case: Arrested Gujarat cop alleges torture by CBI
Ahmedabad: Suspended Gujarat police officer NK Amin, arrested by the CBI in the alleged fake encounter of Mumbai girl Ishrat Jahan and three others near here in 2004, on Friday told a court that he was tortured by the investigation agency.
Amin, a suspended Deputy Superintendent of Police, was arrested on Thursday.
"I was severely beaten up and also verbally abused by the CBI officers in custody," Amin accused when he was produced before a Special CBI Judge.
Amin, granted bail on medical grounds by the Bombay High Court last month in the Sohrabuddin Sheikh encounter case, was apprehended from the city`s Civil Hospital, where he had been admitted.
The CBI produced him before the Special Court and sought remand for 14 days.
However, following Amin`s complaint, Judge SH Khutwad, while reserving order on the remand application, asked the CBI to take the accused for a medical check-up.
A decision on the remand plea will be given on Saturday.
On June 15, 2004, Ishrat, along with Javed Shaikh alias Pranesh Pillai, Amjadali Akbarali Rana and Zeeshan Johar, was killed in an encounter by Ahmedabad Crime Branch.
Police had then claimed that all four were terrorists who entered the city to kill Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
At the time of the encounter, Amin was serving in the Crime Branch. As per Gujarat police`s version, he was part of the team which cordoned off the area near the encounter spot and also took part in the gunfight.
In its remand plea, the CBI has said as per information collected during the investigation, no cordon was laid prior to the encounter. "The incident did not happen in the way it was mentioned in the complaint registered earlier."
The CBI, seeking Amin`s custody, submitted "the details of widespread conspiracy to kill the deceased persons and the role played by each conspirator are yet not fully known. The accused person (Amin) knows these details and he has to be interrogated to gather necessary facts."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’