Ishrat case: Bail for IPS officer Singhal, three other cops
Ahmedabad: The special CBI court on Monday gave bail to suspended IPS officer G L Singhal and three other Gujarat police officers arrested by the CBI in the Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case.
Bail was granted as CBI failed to file charge sheet against them within the mandatory 90 days from arrest.
Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate S H Khutwad granted bail to Singhal, Tarun Barot, J G Parmar and Bharat Patel against bail bonds of Rs 1 lakh and sureties of same amount. They are not to leave the state and would have to remain present before the investigating officer once a month.
Justifying the delay in filing chargesheet, CBI had said another accused, IPS officer P P Pandey, was absconding while the arrest of co-accused D G Vanzara, who was at present in a Maharashtra Jail in Soharabuddin case, had been delayed because his transfer warrant had to be re-issued.
But the judge held that this had nothing to do with the failure to file the chargesheet in 90 days, as required under Criminal Procedure Code.
Mumbai-based Ishrat Jahan, Javed Sheikh alias Pranesh Pillai and alleged Pakistani nationals Amjad Ali Rana and Zeeshan Johan were killed in an encounter on June 15, 2004 on an empty stretch of road between Ahmedabad and Gandhinagar.
Gujarat police had then claimed that they were part of the conspiracy to assassinate Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
Barot and JG Parmar, though given bail today, would remain in jail as they are facing trial in Sadik Jamal fake encounter case.
Among the IPS officers arrested in fake encounter cases in the state in the recent past, Singhal is the first one to get bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price