Ishrat case: CBI court fines lawyer for applicant`s absence
Ahmedabad: A special CBI court on Friday fined the lawyer of Gopinath Pillai for being absent in the court in connection with a hearing on the alleged fake encounter case of Ishrat Jahan and three others in 2004.
Gopinath Pillai, father of one of the encounter victims Pranesh Pillai alias Javed Sheikh was not present today at the hearing, following which the court adjourned the hearing on a plea, which sought inclusion of former Gujarat minister of state for home Amit Shah`s name as an accused in the encounter case.
Judge Geeta Gopi posted the hearing on May 12 and the court also imposed a fine of Rs 500 on his advocate Shamshad Pathan for Gopinath`s absence.
On May 7, the CBI had filed a reply before a local court and given a `clean chit` to Amit Shah, a close aide of BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi, citing lack of evidence against him.
The investigating agency also sought dismissal of the plea filed by Gopinath Pillai to arraign Shah and the then Ahmedabad Police Commissioner K R Kaushik in the case.
The CBI had also said that there was no evidence against Kaushik to show his involvement in the encounter.
CBI had named IPS officers Vanzara, PP Pandey, GL Singhal and other police officers as accused in the first charge sheet, claiming that it was a joint operation by Gujarat Police and the Intelligence Bureau.
In its supplementary charge sheet, it had named former IB Joint Director Rajendra Kumar, who was then posted at the Subsidiary Intelligence Bureau in Gujarat, and three other officers as accused.
Ishrat (19), a college girl from Mumbra near Mumbai, Javed Shaikh alias Pranesh Pillai, Amjadali Akbarali Rana and Zeeshan Johar were killed in an encounter with Gujarat Police on the outskirts of city on June 15, 2004.
Gujarat police had claimed after the encounter that the deceased were Lashkar-e-Toiba activists out on a mission to kill Narendra Modi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information