Ishrat case: CBI intensifies efforts to arrest Gujarat IPS
New Delhi: CBI has intensified its efforts to arrest former ADG of Gujarat PP Pandey as it is finalising the charge sheet in the Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case which is likely to be filed in a special court in Ahmedabad before July 4.
CBI sources said the agency is trying to locate Pandey who has been declared an absconder by the court on its request and is believed to be hiding.
The sources said CBI is trying to question him before filing the charge sheet to elaborate his alleged role in the encounter.
The agency has formed a special team to track Pandey and arrest him to be questioned in this regard, they said.
The FIR, filed by CBI in the case, alleged that Pandey provided "so-called crucial intelligence inputs" to fellow officers which said that Ishrat, a college student, and three others were LeT operatives and were on a mission to assassinate Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
Pandey, as the Joint Commissioner of Police, Ahmedabad, was heading the crime branch when Ishrat, Javed Shaikh alias Pranesh Pillai, Amjadali Akbarali Rana and Zeeshan Johar were killed in an encounter allegedly with Gujarat Police on the city outskirts on June 15, 2004.
He had denied the allegations against him and moved to Gujarat High Court seeking quashing of the FIR against him.
Pruthvi Pal Pandey, a 1982-batch IPS officer, who was declared an absconder by the CBI court here on June 21, has claimed in his petition that he had merely passed on the intelligence input that Rana, Shaikh and Johar were terrorists and were planning to enter the city to kill Modi.
The high court last Friday had adjourned the hearing on a petition filed by Pandey seeking quashing of an FIR against him by CBI in the case till June 28.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range