Ishrat case: CBI may file supplementary chargesheet
New Delhi: CBI is likely to proceed with the filing of supplementary chargesheet in Ishrat Jahan fake encounter killing case within 10 days even if legal opinion on need of sanction to prosecute the IB officers is not received by it.
CBI sources said if the legal opinion is not received before the filing of charge sheet, the agency will inform the competent court that the issue is pending with the government and may not name the IB officials suspected of the conspiracy to kill Ishrat and her associates.
The sources said the agency is likely to file its charge sheet in the case within 10 days in which it would not name close aide of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, Amit Shah
They claimed the agency has enough evidence against the IB officials who are suspected to have been involved in the conspiracy to carry out the encounter.
However, the agency has referred the matter to the Law Minister with a query whether sanction from Home Ministry is needed to prosecute Special Director Rajinder Kumar (now retired) and three other IB officers ? P Mittal, M K Sinha and Rajiv Wankhede.
One view holds that since Kumar was in active service at the time of the alleged crime, sanction for his prosecution is needed from Home Ministry which is the cadre controlling authority, they said.
Another opinion is that since he retired from service in July this year, the agency could go ahead with its charge sheet without any need for sanction to prosecute, they said.
They added if the Law Ministry felt a nod from Home Ministry was needed before filing the supplementary charge sheet, CBI would send a request seeking sanction to prosecute the officers.
Meanwhile, on the question of any role by Shah in the matter, senior officials of the agency have made it clear that there was no legally tenable evidence on the basis of which he could be named as an accused in the charge sheet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh