Ishrat case: CBI seeks to declare Guj cop a proclaimed offender
Ahmedabad: The CBI, investigating the 2004 fake encounter case of Ishrat Jahan and three others, has filed an application in the special court here to declare absconding accused IPS officer PP Pandey as a `proclaimed offender`.
The central agency filed an application before the special CBI court of Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate (ACJM) H S Khutwad yesterday and sought court`s directions to declare Pandey, who is alluding arrest since last month, as a proclaimed offender under section 82 of Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC).
The court is likely to pass an order tomorrow.
If he is declared a proclaimed offender, the investigating agency can seize his property.
On May 2, the special CBI court here had issued arrest warrant against Pandey, who at present is Additional DGP (Crime), for failing to respond to the summons of the probe agency.
Meanwhile, Pandey had moved Supreme Court with a plea to quash the FIR and give him protection against the non-bailable warrant issued against him, which was rejected by the apex court yesterday with the liberty to approach High Court.
Pruthvipal P Pandey, a 1982-batch IPS officer, has been made accused in the fake encounter case for providing "so-called crucial intelligence inputs" to fellow policemen that Ishrat and three others were LeT operatives and were on a mission to assassinate Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
He was Joint Commissioner of Police of the city heading the crime branch when on June 15, 2004, Ishrat Jahan, Javed Shaikh alias Pranesh Pillai, Amjadali Akbarali Rana and Zeeshan Johar were killed in an encounter with the Gujarat police on the outskirts of Ahmedabad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- EPL 2016-17: Gameweek 3 — City go top with win over Hammers
- Glowing distant stars become Hubble's latest subject! - See pic
- PM Modi reaches out to people of Kashmir Valley, talks of 'unity and compassion', slams those fomenting trouble
- Clothes that repair their own rips? Study swears on new coatings!
- BCCI exempts Chennai Super Kings, Rajasthan Royals from paying annual IPL franchise fee: Report